Sunday, January 3, 2010

Apologies to the Garbage Man

Three super simple changes I've made in the last couple of years ... make for good resolutions in my book. I try to "be green" as much as possible on a daily basis, and these products are no brainers.

#1 Reusable grocery bags I have a dozen or so, and use them not only at the grocery store, but Target, clothes shopping ... well, anywhere I'd get a bag. I keep 'em stashed in my car and purse, so I am never without. Just think of all the grocery bags you collect...then trash...you can buy these just about anywhere these days, but I've gotten mine from these online stores: Reusable Bags and Nubius Organics. I also have an insulated tote from Neela Bags. So all cold/frozen stuff goes straight in there. Makes for easier putting away at home.

#2 Water Bottles I used to buy bottled water by the case at Costco, and almost two years ago quit cold turkey. Instead, I stocked our family with a variety of water bottles. They ain't cheap, but think of all that plastic you are keeping out of the landfills. Plus, water is good for you - so really, you're doing yourself a huge favor!  Maybe you heard about the Sigg bottle craziness a few months back (Sigg, a popular water bottle manufacturer claimed that their bottles were BPA free. In fact, the liners ended up having traces of BPA in them). Grrrr, I promptly returned our large stash and was given a credit to buy new ones, equipped with the NEW BPA free liner. I took their word for it and now have all new bottles for the fam. Anyway, some other great bottles are Camelbak and Kleen Kanteen

#3 No waste lunches This is a work in progress but I'm trying to pack no-waste lunches for the kids. I use re-usable and washable snack/sandwich bags (try Snack Happened bags) and buy way less individually wrapped snacks. Easier on the wallet and garbage can.

These are just a few of my favorite things ... I'm always looking for ideas to incorporate eco-living into our daily routines. Leave me a comment sharing what you do. We can help each other out!

1 comment:

MiniMe Mom said...

YAY! Snack Happened bags made the list!

I have been trying to cut down as well.